Wednesday, June 3, 2009

So, you want to show off your fish... Here is how to do it in two easy steps.

One day this month I was leading 25 students on a "Wildlands Water Walk" on our campus. At the end of the walk, it came time to take them all over to the Deppe Pond dam and share with them about the Mohave tui chub refuge here on campus. At the dam I usually explain to the students that helping endangered species is considered a beneficial use of water. It just so happened that this time, the well was turned on and water was flowing into the pond near the dam. With my back to the water, I was telling the students that the MTC can be hard to see at midday so they may not be able to see them when a chorus of students starting pointing and shrieking, saying, "There they are!" Turning around to face the pond, I half expected to see a school of mosquito fish, but to my surprise I saw a school of chub enjoying the cool plume of incoming well water as it mixed with the warmer pond water.So, if you want to show off your chub:
  • Step 1, turn the pump on,
  • Step 2, stand on the dam and wait for about 5 minutes, and the chub will come a-swimming.

No comments: